Stride will begin accepting submissions for the MAIN SPACE and +15 WINDOW SPACE on DECEMBER 1, 2017. Proposals received by 5pm (MST) on Monday, January 15, 2018 will be considered for 2019 and 2020 programming.
Stride supports artistic pursuits that combine innovative creative expression with informed critical discourse and promotes recognition of emerging, mid-career and established artists by providing opportunities for community engagement with contemporary art practices.
Artists are encouraged to follow the online submission guidelines and to e-mail their submission package in .zip format to info@ stride.ab.ca with the subject line
ATTN: CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS JANUARY 2018.
FAXED, MAILED, OR INCOMPLETE SUBMISSIONS WILL NOT BE REVIEWED.
Stride's Main Space is in two connected storefronts on the historic Bell Block. The main floor is comprised of two connected spaces that allow for distinct exhibitions in each room or unified exhibitions spanning the entire level. As a heritage builiding, the space features 15ft tin tile ceiling and hardwood floors.
Stride's +15 Window Space is located in the public +15 walkways in the Arts Commons. This deep vitrine space provides a unique exhibition venue well suited to presentations of three-dimensional works and carefully considered installations of two-dimensional works. The +15 walkways are accessible to the public at all times, and welcome a diverse audience. Stride prioritizes projects from Alberta-based emerging artists for the +15 Window Space programming, though all interested artists are encouraged to submit proposals. These exhibitions are two months in duration, totaling six per year.
Stride also supports offsite and community-based projects that involve the production and dissemination of contemporary art outside the context of a formal gallery space. These projects are assessed and programmed on a case-by-case basis, dependent upon available resources.
Please refer to the Information page to learn about Stride’s mandate and history.
Submission package, must include all the following items in a single .zip file labelled with the artists last and then first name (lastname_firstname.zip). Submission packages that DO NOT follow these guidelines will NOT be considered by the Programming Committee:
-SUBMISSION INFORMATION FORM
- MUST BE FILLED IN WITH ARTISTS MOST CURRENT INFORMATION
-DETAILED PROJECT PROPOSAL
- COMMUNICATE YOUR INTENTIONS FOR THE EXHIBITION AT STRIDE GALLERY
- MUST BE FORMATTED AS A PDF - MAXIMUM 1 PAGE
- THIS TEXT SHOULD REFLECT THE CONCEPTS OF THE PROPOSED PROJECT, WHILE BEING CONSISE AND WELL CONSIDERED.
- MUST BE FORMATTED AS A PDF - MAXIMUM 1 PAGE
- CURRICULUM VITAE
- PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR MOST CURRENT AND RELAVENT EDUCATION AND EXHIBITION HISTORY AS WELL AS ACURATE CONTACT INFORMATION.
- MUST BE FORMATTED AS A PDF - MAXIMUM 2 PAGES
- FOR COLLABORATIVE AND GROUP PROJECTS PLEASE SUBMIT ONE CV PER ARTIST
- VISUAL SUPPORT MATERIAL
- A MAXIMUM OF 10 IMAGES - PLEASE INCLUDE ONLY RECENT DOCUMENTAION OR VISUALS THAT ARE RELEVANT TO THE PROPOSED EXHIBITION.
- IMAGES SHOULD BE IN .JPEG FORMAT - RGB, 8BITS, RESOLUTION: 1024 PIXELS ON LONGEST SIDE AT 72 DPI AND NO LARGER THAN 1 MB EACH IN SIZE.
- IF AUDIO OR VIDEO DOCUMENTATION IS NECESSARY FOR YOUR PROPOSAL PLEASE INCLUDE A VALID URL LINK WITH A MAXIMUM OF FIVE MINUTES RUNNING TIME.
- VISUAL SUPPORT INVENTORY
- A LIST RELATING TO VISUAL SUPPORT MATERIAL WITH CORRESPONDING FILE NAMES AND DETAILED INFORMATION REGARDING TITLE, MEDIA, SIZE, AND DATE.
- MUST BE FORMATTED AS A PDF
- COLLABORATIVE PROPOSALS
- PLEASE SUBMIT A SINGLE PAGE CV FOR EACH ARTIST
- ALL OTHER SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS REMAIN THE SAME FOR INDIVIDUAL EXHIBITION PROPOSALS AS FOR COLLABORATIVE PROPOSALS
SUBMISSION SUPPORT MATERIAL AND VISUALS MUST BE COMPRESSED INTO A SINGLE .ZIP FOLDER LABELLED WITH THE ARTISTS LAST AND THEN FIRST NAME THEN EMAILED TO INFO@STRIDE.AB.CA WITH THE SUBJECT LINE ATTN: CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS (DATE+YEAR). SUBMISSIONS THAT FAIL TO DO SO WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Artists interested in producing a publication in conjunction with their exhibition at Stride should mention this within their project proposal and submission documents. With sufficient notice, the gallery may be able to access special project funding to support the development of publications. Artists are encouraged to seek funding or other support independently and not rely entirely on Stride for this aspect of their project.
-Be sure that all documents include your name, a working title for the proposed exhibition, and complete contact information; phone number, email address, website, and postal address
-DO NOT mail submisions
-DO NOT send composite images or prepared slideshows
-Please test all documents on a Mac computer to be ensure compatability
-Including a floor plan is optional
-Artists who are currently enrolled in a formal course of studies (BFA, MFA, or PhD) are not eligible for exhibitions in the Main Space.
-Please note hotmail is not compatiable for sending .zip to our email.
STRIDE DOES NOT HAVE A LOADING BAY
ALL SHIPPMENTS OF ARTWORK MUST FIT THROUGH A MAN DOOR (92"X32")
MAIN SPACE – DRYWALL
+15 WINDOW – PLYWOOD-BACKED DRYWALL
MAIN SPACE – FINISHED MAPLE
+15 WINDOW – PAINTED WHITE SURFACE
MAIN SPACE – TRACK LIGHTS
+15 WINDOW – TRACK LIGHTS
STRIDE CARRIES INSURANCE FOR WORKS EXHIBITED AT THE MAIN LOCATION
INSTALLATION SUPPORT & A/V EQUIPMENT:
A LIMITED SELECTION OF TOOLS AND A/V EQUIPMENT CAN BE PROVIDED BY THE GALLERY. OTHER REQUIREMENTS MAY BE NEGOTIATED OR MAY BE THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE EXHIBITING ARTIST. CONTACT THE GALLERY STAFF FOR FURTHER DETAILS ABOUT TOOLS, HARDWARE, AND OTHER EQUIPMENT AVAILABLE.
CLICK HERE FOR THE MAIN SPACE FLOOR PLAN
CLICK HERE FOR THE +15 WINDOW FLOOR PLAN