CALL FOR APPLICANTS
POSITION: ASSISTANT DIRECTOR
Stride Gallery is currently seeking an Assistant Director.
TERM: Full-time position at 30 hours per week. Regular working schedule is 6 hours per day, Tuesday-Saturday from 11AM-5PM. There are occasional overtime hours required, which will be compensated by time off in lieu.
START DATE: September 4, 2018
COMPENSATION: $32,000.00 per year with a salary review after 6 months probation. This includes health benefits, a small health spending account, four weeks of paid vacation during the Summer and Winter closures in the last 2 weeks of August and December.
DEADLINE: Friday June 15, 2018 at 5:00pm
Please make your subject heading ATTN: Stride Gallery Hiring Committee
Please send your applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Stride is a non-for-profit artist run centre that values experimental, risk-taking art work and fosters community conversation and participation.
The Assistant Director reports to the Gallery Director and supports the gallery’s main activity: exhibitions and community engagement initiatives. Key duties include overseeing gallery programming in conjunction with the Gallery Director, promotion of gallery programming via the website, social media and advertising, exhibition installation and striking, communication with artists, recruitment and coordination of volunteers, and assistance with the gallery’s fundraising and engagement initiatives. The Assistant Director and the Gallery Director support each other in daily operations, preparing submission packages for review, providing assistance with grant applications, and providing information to gallery visitors. This position provides an excellent growth opportunity for a motivated artist, curator, writer, or a cultural practitioner with a strong interest in artist-run centres, gallery operations, and contemporary art practices.
MAIN JOB TASKS
- Oversee communication with artists and other participants at the gallery
- Oversee the installation and deinstallation of exhibitions
- Participate in the development of engagement, education and public programs
- Assisting with the writing and editing of grants, exhibition essays, calls and promotional information
- General maintenance of exhibition spaces and organization of equipment
- Develop exhibition programming in conjunction with the Gallery Director and Board of Directors
- Maintenance of the gallery website and promotional activities
- Coordinate volunteers for major gallery events and day-to-day support
- Assist in coordinating the annual fundraiser and various fundraising activities.
- Report to the Board of Directors at various board and committee meetings
EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS AND ASSETS
- Bachelor of Fine Arts, Art History, Curatorial Studies or equivalent post-secondary visual arts education
- Strong knowledge and interest in artist-run centres, contemporary visual culture, and the current art climates in Canada
- The capacity to engage with the dialogues around reconciliation, inclusion, equity and diversity
- Experience with the handling, installation and deinstallation of artwork in diverse media
- Familiarity with Mac platforms, Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Suite, and Wordpress
- Excellent research, communication and writing skills
- The ability to work in a fast-paced and collaborative work environment as well as the capacity to take independent work initiatives.
- Ability to work with a caring, personable attitude
Submit a cover letter (one page maximum), curriculum vitae, and up to two writing samples (500 words maximum, combined) in one pdf file to email@example.com, Subject: ATTN: Stride Gallery Hiring Committee. Please include contact information for two suitable employment references.
LATE, MAILED, OR FAXED APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
Stride Gallery is located in the traditional territories of the Blackfoot and the people of the Treaty 7 region, which includes the Siksika, the Piikuni, the Kainai, the Tsuu T’ina and the Stoney Nakoda First Nations. The City of Calgary is also home to the Métis Nation of Alberta, Region III.
Stride gallery is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Stride offers internship opportunities funded by Serving Communities Internship Program (SCiP) on an ongoing basis. You must be eligible for receiving a SCiP scholarship in order to apply to an internship. All our open positions are posted on the website and on our SCiP page.