DEADLINE: February 9th, 2023 at 11:59pm MST.
Stride Gallery is excited to announce our second call for submissions for our window exhibition space, The Prairie Crocus. We are offering this space for any early-career artists who are based in Mohkinstsis/Guts’ists’i/Wincheesh-pah or colonially known as Calgary, including artists who live on reserve or surrounding rural areas within Treaty 7.
We believe all artists deserve equity in exhibition opportunities, and we strongly encourage Indigenous, Black, racialized artists, LGBTQIA2S+, persons with disabilities, deaf artists, to apply. This call for submissions is open to everyone. Institutional education such as Bachelors in Fine Arts is not a requirement.
This is a paid opportunity with a $1000.00 artist fee for a month-long installation in The Prairie Crocus Gallery. This call is for exhibitions starting in June 2023, running to January 2024. All artists who apply will hear back about their submission by late March 2023. Applications are reviewed by our Board of Directors and staff.
To apply, please complete the Google Form. If you need specific requirements for submission or need to apply with an audio or video file in lieu of the written form, please contact Dan Cardinal McCartney at firstname.lastname@example.org. Dan is also available for assistance or to answer any questions you may have about the application. We sincerely appreciate your time and efforts to put together a submission.
*Some Considerations for the space*
The Prairie Crocus Gallery is meant to be seen from the street in a highly-visible storefront. Therefore following aspects may be difficult to accommodate or be ineffective:
– Sound-based work or video with audio component
– Video projection (only visible in late afternoons; not viable in the summer months)
– Video on flatscreen TV
– Flat 2D works on the wall: The wall is set back 5 feet from the windows, so if your proposal only includes small 2D works that hang on the wall, it won’t be as effective
– Interactive pieces that require touching the artwork
– Works containing sexually explicit imagery. We must restrict certain themes in regards to our public facing exhibition space
We look forward to reading your submissions!
Please apply here.
Map of the exhibition space, with dimensions: