Stride Gallery is looking for dedicated individuals to join our Board of Directors.
Over the past two years, we have had a transition to an entirely new board of directors. With the help of these new BIPOC board members, we have begun to focus our efforts on reworking the board model and processes in the ultimate goals of dismantling systematic oppression that has been present in this institution since its formation. In order to do this, we need to continue onboarding fresh perspectives into Stride.
We are seeking applications from individuals with an emphasis on BIPOC communities, persons with disabilities, persons who are in the LGBTQ2S+ community, persons from poor and working-class backgrounds, and as well as members proficient in accounting and financials. We are currently recruiting 2 new board members. Through these new additions we hope to fill necessary gaps in our organization to strive towards a brighter future.
Our next two years will be focused on cultivating alternative ways of being an institution that tries to approach “governance” differently. As we continue to experiment with board models, we are looking for individuals who are curious and committed to go on an experimental journey with staff and fellow board members to re-envision power, accountability, consensus, and equity within an artist-run centre context. We solicit individuals who have the willingness and capacity to participate in hands-on board work. This year we will be focusing on policy and structural work, as well as re-envisioning our programming structures.
Please note board membership is voluntary. Board members will not receive financial compensation or other benefits. Stride welcomes applicants with no prior Board experience.
Who we are
Stride Gallery is located in Mohkinstsis, the traditional territories of Treaty 7 people. Our activities take place on the land that is and has been stewarded and cared for by the Blackfoot Confederacy (comprising the Siksika, Piikani, and Kainai First Nations), Tsuut’ina First Nation, and the Iyarhe/Stoney Nakoda people comprising the Chiniki, Bearspaw, and Wesley First Nations. The City of Calgary is also home to Métis Nation of Alberta, Region III.
We are a non-profit artist-run centre that supports contemporary art practices. We believe in art that addresses our current realities with urgency, criticality and care through which we can propose new ways of thinking and being. For these emergent practices, we provide various platforms such as exhibitions, public programs, performances, workshops, publications, and gathering. Through these programs, we aim to foster community participation and conversations around art.
What we need from you as a board member:
- Serve a two-year term, renewable, starting 2022.
- Attend 10 board meetings a year, via Zoom. The frequency of meetings may change depending on the urgency of conversation and work.
- Actively take part in board visioning sessions in a collective and collaborative mindset.
- Support Stride’s commitment to anti-racism, anti-oppression, equity, and inclusivity in all of its activities and internal structures.
- Share your expertise, vision, perspectives and skills with us
- Be a peer-mentor to our group. (peer-mentorship does not need refined skills or extensive qualifications, but an openness to share your own resources and experience on your own terms)
- Be our liaison to the community
- Support our exhibitions, programming, and events
- Assist with fundraising activities including casinos
Reciprocal support for you:
- Peer mentorship from staff and fellow board members
- Commitment to hear and support your voice in how we envision the organization
- Shared resources around navigating bureaucratic systems like grants
To apply, please send:
- A brief statement of interest that describes your relevant experience and why you want to join Stride Gallery’s Board (Under 500 words)
- An optional CV
to email@example.com with the subject line “Board of Directors Application.”
Deadline to send in letter of interest: September 10th, 2022.
Our Annual General Meeting will be hosted on Wednesday, September 21st, 2022 at 6pm MST, via Zoom. When applying, please be sure you will be available to meet this day.
Please send any inquiries regarding the board call to Dan Cardinal McCartney, at firstname.lastname@example.org